Basic platz mix:
1 &1/2 cups flour
2 &1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk or cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the crumbs:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 cups fresh blueberries (not frozen)
What you do:
1. Combine the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Cut the cold butter in using a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers.
2. Combine the egg, milk, vanilla and salt, then add it to the dry ingredients using a wooden spoon. If it’s too hard to get all the dry bits in, add a little more milk. You’ll need to get in there with your hands and knead the mixture to get it all combined.
3. Spread the combined mixture into the bottom of a 9×9 inch pan.
4. Spread the fruit over the mixture.
5. Combine the butter, sugar and flour for the crumb mixture, then sprinkle it on top of the fruit, using your fingers.
6. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes. It will be golden on the top, and you can check for done-ness using a toothpick.
This one will cool in the pan, and you won’t remove it from the pan before cutting. The crumb topping is crunchy and it’s best the day you make it, but of course it would still be good the next day. It’s especially good served when it’s still a little warm.
I don’t know how you can spread batter “into” the pan. That implies incorporating the batter with the glass or metal. I’d prefer to spread the batter in the pan!